Product Specialist – Infectious Disease
Based in Greater Toronto, Montreal or other urban Canadian city.
Somagen Diagnostics Inc. was founded over 30 years ago in Edmonton and has grown steadily to become Canada’s largest provider of medical technology to laboratories, hospitals, and clinics. Somagen is the exclusive Canadian distributor for many of the world’s most respected diagnostic product manufacturers. We pride ourselves on being a highly technical sales organization providing leading support solutions to our clinical customers. Our proven business model has consistently achieved sustained growth.
Somagen is part of the Diploma Healthcare Group (DHG) which is a group of specialized medical device distribution companies operating in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and Denmark. DHG is owned by Diploma PLC, a public company traded on the London Stock Exchange with a market cap in excess of £1.1B.
As a key member of the Business Development team the, the Product Specialist – Infectious Disease will be responsible for transforming the way our customers experience and engage with our products and services. You will play a vital role in driving our sales and marketing strategies, launching new products, growing market share, while providing technical and scientific expertise to our customer end-users.
The Product Specialist, Infectious Disease role is a field-based position focused on providing exceptional knowledge, expertise and support for multiple product lines including but not limited to traditional microbiology, molecular diagnostics, and quality control. The candidate is expected to be the technical, clinical and market expert for their respective products while working as part of an interdisciplinary team to drive revenue growth, build opportunities and develop sales and marketing strategies to drive market expansion.
- Supporting the sales teams as scientific and technical expert on the entirety of their portfolio while helping to develop and implement sales and marketing strategies.
- Coordinate customer site visits with sales and support teams. Qualify accounts for sales opportunity development, technical support needs and monitor progress until successful completion of goals.
- Work alongside the Somagen sales team and collaborate with internal departments to support tender proposals and customer evaluations.
- Establish and maintain peer relationships with leading specialists and KOLs at reference centers.
- Support existing customers’ scientific, clinical, technical, and troubleshooting needs for products and instrumentation in the field.
- Lead customer demonstrations, evaluations, training, validation, and implementation, in collaboration with Somagen’s field service representatives.
- Establish industry leading customer training materials and programs.
- Appropriately present scientific concepts regarding Somagen products and competitive products to help commercial sales personnel achieve objectives.
- Effectively communicate the benefits of products and study/product evaluation results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop flexible and creative approaches to support customer needs that generate maximum results for Somagen and customer satisfaction.
- Work with the marketing team to research, write and complete scientific or technical publications and functional sales support materials.
- Effectively and professionally represent Somagen’s interest when liasoning with manufacturing partners.
- Continuously analyze the diagnostics market, trends and customer needs to provide valuable insights for strategy development.
- Gather competitive information and market intelligence, build sales strategies to effectively advance market share.
- Complete all internal reporting responsibilities promptly and completely as required.
- Manage expense budgets vigorously to maximize corporate profitability.
- National travel required up to 50% of the time. International travel for training purposes may also be required.
The successful individual will possess the following characteristics:
- 5+ years professional work experience, with a minimum 3 years in the clinical or diagnostic market segment.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BSc) in Science or MLT diploma (required) with functional experience in the areas of Microbiology/Molecular Diagnostics.
- Demonstrates exemplary oral and written professional communication skills.
- Exceptional communication, negotiation, and relationship-building skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a demonstrated track record of innovative market development strategies.
- Results-oriented with a history of achieving or surpassing goals.
- Possesses strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills together with a robust attention to detail.
- Demonstrates a bias for action and is comfortable operating without supervision, manages daily priorities while simultaneously moving longer-term business improvement projects forward, providing high level reporting as and when deemed appropriate.
- Strong Preference for bilingual (English – French)
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005, should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
If you are interested in working for progressive and dynamic companies with solid growth potential, in a field that has a direct impact on the lives of our employees, hospital staff and patients, then we would like to hear from you on how you can contribute and grow with us!
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org